At Nozstock we aim to reduce our environmental impact every year by running fun, green activities and making it easier for festival goers to make greener choices. In 2013 we were very pleased to be given an Improving Award from A Greener Festival. The Improving Award shows a significant engagement with the process of reducing environmental impact. Thumbs up to all the staff, volunteers, traders, performers and revellers who did their bit to keep Nozstock green.
You can read our full Environmental Policy or here are a few highlights:
Waste & Recycling
Campsite Competition – Who’s the cleanest of them all? Our judges will be scouring the campsites, looking for tidy campsites to reward and encouraging untidy campers to clean up! An awards ceremony will be held on the Sunday on the Bandstand stage, so to be in with a chance of winning some fantastic prizes, as the Welsh say; “keep it tidy!”
Reuse-Me Box –On the Sunday and Monday there will be a place to donate any items that are still useable that you don’t want to take home with you, like tents, camping equipment, wellies, sealed dried foods and cans etc. These items can then be reused or donated to charities.
We recycle as much of our waste as possible both during the build up and during the event and are striving to improve this each year. Each attendee will be handed a bin bag and recycling bag on arrival. There is a no glass policy on site, to help keep our fields safe from broken glass, and all the traders will be using biodegradable plates and cutlery. We also offer awards to the greenest, cleanest stalls each year.
The Nozstock Cycle challenge – Leave the car at home! A team of 4 people cycling to Nozstock from over 15 miles away can get 1 free ticket for the organizer and a hamper of drinks and Nozstock goodies. For full details of how to enter, see the Competitions page.
We are also running a FREE shuttle bus from Bromyard to the festival site, and coaches from Hereford and Worcester train stations to make traveling sustainably to the festival a doddle! Check out our travel pages for more details on the bus services and how to book your tickets…
Specially organised coaches run from Worcester Shrub Hill and Hereford Train Stations to the festival site on Thursday and Friday and return journeys are available on Monday. We are also trialling buses from London and Bristol. Please see our travel page for more details.
We encourage people to leave the gas guzzlers at home and therefore charge for car parking. However if you are bringing a car, save some petrol and lift share with GoCarShare, a wonderfully green scheme for getting to the Farm. Check out the Nozstock page for details and add your journey, whether you are driving or looking for a lift, and they will match you with someone going the same way. Score some eco-points and make some new festival friends.
Celebritree Avenue – A percentage of money generated from the car parking charges will be spent on tree planting on the festival site. There will be a tree planting workshop on Sunday in the craft area, including a planting by one of our headlining bands! The Proclaimers planted the first tree in Nozstock’s star studded Celebritree Avenue at Noz 2012.
2014 will bring an exciting range of green workshops and activities for all ages, form funky junk workshops to willow weaving. Be sure to check out our programme to keep up to date with everything – there’s more green initiatives at Nozstock 2014 than you can shake a stick at!
Love Your Tent
In 2013 Nozstock joined Love Your Tent, which is is a new campaign created by ECO ACTION PARTNERSHIP and in association with A GREENER FESTIVAL designed to bond people with their portable homes, and encourage them to re-use, instead of discard.
1. Thou shalt Love Your Tent.
2. Thou shalt not buy cheap, one-use tents, but invest in one that will last for years to come.
3. Thou shalt never leave your tent anywhere for someone else to dismantle and take to landfill (recycling facilities for all tent components currently don’t exist)
4. Thou shalt respect your tent and the area in which you pitch it, making sure you clean up after you……even after a weekend of partying at a festival.
5. Thou shalt spread the word and encourage others to Love Their Tent.
6. Thou shalt clearly demonstrate your devotion to your tent and send evidence to www.loveyourtent.com and earn a chance to win festival tickets.
7. Thou shalt love thy neighbour and not disturb them by playing bongo’s at 4 a.m.
8. Thou shalt follow all additional on-site guidelines in order to carry on the respect and loving you tent
9. Thou shalt join our community and keep up to date on news from festival land as well as the chance to enter other exclusive competitions.
10. Thou shalt be happy campers and share the love and joy of Love Your Tent.